Sunday, September 22, 2013

HR and Companies I Don't Want to Work For


The company I'm writing about is totally a scam so I won't name them, but they're still worth thinking about.
In the first weeks of summer I was lucky enough to go from consistent rejection to acquiring three opportunities in one week. One of the options I did not select offered two lessons learned on HR management.
Employee Engagement vs. Productivity
Internet research on the organization I'm writing about returned pages from ripoffreport.com and scambook.com. Pay was commission based, but management had a scripted sales pitch and HR demanded sharp punctuality. So here was a company where pay was loose and everything else was rigid. Timeliness and even urgency should be the standard wherever you go. But in a commission based role where employee engagement is admittedly more important than productivity, I'd question any punitive measures for being a minute late (which they assured me there were).
Core Competencies
I showed up for one day of training and was fed the "attitude is what determines your latitude" philosophy. No question of skill sets or fields of study. Human capital as defined in the text is the collective value of the capabilities, knowledge, skills, life experiences, and motivation of an organizational workforce. Too much emphasis on one of these dimensions - in this case motivation - might actually distort an organization's success.
Not wasting time with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment